NEWBURY – Newbury Fire Chief Douglas Janvrin and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey said the cause of the October 20, 2020 garage fire at 1 Old Point Road in Newbury was electrical. There were no injuries.
The homeowners had recently disconnected the electricity to a nearby shed that came from the garage. Earlier in the week, they had experienced minor problems with the electricity in the garage.
The fire was contained to a single storage bay in the garage of the former service station. The electrical panel was located in the area of origin. There was no evidence that the fire was intentionally set.
Members of the Newbury Fire Department and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal jointly investigated the fire.