Chief Douglas Janvrin
3 Morgan Ave.
Newbury, MA 019510
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Newbury Fire Department Extinguishes Chimney Fire
NEWBURY — Chief Douglas Janvrin reports that the Newbury Fire Department extinguished a chimney fire on New Year’s Day.
On Jan. 1 at 5:12 a.m., the Newbury Fire Department responded to 7-R Austin Lane on a report of a chimney fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters on Engine 1 found a working chimney fire with extension into the ceiling of an enclosed porch.
Crews worked aggressively to open the roof and ceiling to extinguish the fire, which prevented the fire from extending into the main house. The family was alerted by their smoke alarms, which just had their batteries replaced last week.
“The crews did a great job aggressively attacking the fire and keeping it confined to the attached porch,” Chief Janvrin said. “I’d like to take this opportunity to emphasize the need for working smoke alarms. The presence of working detectors definitely saved valuable time, which ensured the family was able to evacuate the house safely and allowed us to keep the fire contained.”
One firefighter was transported to an area hospital with non life-threatening injuries and was admitted overnight for observation. He was released this morning.
The Newbury Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Georgetown Fire Department, and the Rowley Fire Department provided station coverage at the Morgan Avenue Station.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Newbury Fire Department.
To prevent chimney fires, the Newbury Fire Department recommends that residents follow these tips from the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:
- Chimneys and flues should be inspected annually by a professional prior to use. Cracks in the flue or mortar joints can allow flames and heated gases to extend into the structure.
- Have your chimney flue cleaned before each heating season and burn only dry, well-seasoned, hardwood to reduce creosote accumulation.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Be sure that the damper is open before lighting a fire. Failure to do so can result in an accumulation of smoke and carbon monoxide within the home. Do not close the damper before the fire has died out and the embers are cold.
- Use a fireplace screen to prevent flying sparks and embers from falling out onto the floor.
- Install and maintain smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Be sure to properly dispose of ashes. Ashes from a pellet stove or fireplace should be shoveled into a metal bucket with a metal lid, placed outside, on the ground, away from the building, to prevent fires. Do not place ashes into a paper bag or cardboard box, as ashes and embers can stay hot for days and ignite combustibles.